I am Elder Jake Rose, and I am currently serving in the Tonga Nuka'alofa mission. I left to the MTC January 5, 2011 and will arrive back to my home in Utah in two quick years.
This is my story and the stories of the people of Tonga.





Elder Jacob Aaron Rose

Tonga Nuku'alofa Mission

P.O. Box 58

Nuku'alofa, Tongatapu, Tonga

South Pacific

Thursday, March 3, 2011

WOW last one of these from the good ol MTC

I can't believe my experience here is already over! I don't know how it has gone by so fast but it has! Alright so i went to the temple last thursday and it was cool. very spiritual and got an answer to my prayers from the scriptures while there which is always a neat experience. We also got our travel plans that day! My flight from salt lake is at 256 and i go to LA have a 5 hour layover and then head to new zealand, have a 8 hour layover and then head to tonga! I will call you family probably sometime after 4! Hopefully i can get ahold of you! I can't wait to hear you all! 2/25 Bro yates told us a story how in tonga there was a girl who was possessed and he had to give her a blessing and they had to have like 4 people hold her down and she was saying stuff about the bishop and his family she wouldn't know and they blessed her and she calmed down and said there were 5 spirits that were in her and she could remember all of their names. Kinda creepy. Hope I don't have to deal with that. They call it puke tevolo sick devil is the translation. 2/27 this was a real good spiritual day. The haitan creole district that left on tuesday and wednesday had the musical number. It's elder loftus, furner, congre and meredith who you may have seen on channel five the missionary special. anywho those 4 sung god be with you til we meet again in haitan and it was so good! It really brought the spirit. Loftus who was one of my best friends here, got picked to speak and the topic was atonement. His testimony really helped mine and it was cool to hear a friend say that. my testimony grew from it. He spoke powerfully and just put into perspective what the savior did for every one of us and you could see his love for the savior. The savior really did more for us than anyone us because he loved us all and it had to be done so we can be happy now and forever. We all mess up but he makes it possible for us to be clean and forgiven. Me and my comp taught the lesson in district meeting and it went really good. I talked about humility and he talked about the holy ghost. We forgot about it so we didn't really prepare but the spirit worked through me. Later my comp said that's what he needed to hear and i was just was glad i could help someone. We had a devotional that night from stephen b allen on turbulence and it was good. Alot of us go through alot of different things in life but we just have to endure. In the end everything will work out. It was kinda funny one kid stepped up to the mic and said i think i speak for everyone when i say the food here gives me turbulence haha. it made me laugh. The closing song was Army of Helaman. It was freakin sweet! something stuck out to me that had never stuck out before. It gave me alot of hope concerning a few big things in my life. after the fireside we went and watched mountain of the lord. Itwas a way cool movie about the salt lake temple! I learned alot about that temple from the movie. I love that temple even more now. 2/28 we had a health and safety meeting. Everything this guy said did not apply to tonga. He said not to eat raw fish, i'll starve if i don't. he said to drink pure water, next to impossible in tonga, he said to wash your hands all the time. If anywhere has a sink. Nothing applied to my mission but hey he was tryin. He didn't have an answer to boils besides shower 2 times a day which we knew. Then that night we said bye to the haitan district. they all left except loftus left wednesday instead of tuesday. so 3/1 i say bye to loftus. But i'll see him when i get back cause he lives in ogden and will go to weber. in gym this day right at the beginning we start a game of basketball and i get shouldered in the nose. It bled for 30 minutes and when if finally stopped i couldn't play or get my heart going again or it would have kept bleeding. it sucked sittin out cause of a dumb bloody nose.  3/2 we had our in field language study meeting which we just get told how to make a language study plan in the field. It was good and helpful. I hope i'm able to pick up the language fast! It's a tough language to learn cause we don't have many resources like the people speakin spanish or french. We just have 3 good teachers! Then we got to host again for the final time which was fun. A sister i had to host couldn't find her license so hopefully someone can send her one! I felt really good about my tongan this day. The lord blessed me and i know it's cause i worded a prayer different and said more prayers for it than usual. I was able to speak mostly what i wanted to say without having to take long to think about it and i was able to understand quite about what was being said to me! it was really comforting. Then i got another bloody nose in the shower for another 10 minutes and then later i was talking to elder martinez and it came out of nowhere again and bled for another 15. I love my nose so much! :) hopefully it's done haha. I had a really good final companionship inventory with elder michael last night and it was just uplifting and the spirit resided there. It was really cool. I get to have a culture day tonight in class with yates who was the only one of our teachers who actually went there so i finally get to see what it's kinda like! I'm way excited about it! Oh just to let you all know this is my address for tonga and it will always be this my whole mission:
 
Elder Jacob Aaron Rose
Tonga Nuku'alofa Mission
P.O. Box 58
Nuku'alofa Tonga
South Pacific
 
Be sure to use international stamps when you send stuff there. (98 cents) Sorry it'll be expensive to send stuff. Good thing i only get stuff once a month huh? Typically it takes 2 weeks to get there then 2 weeks to get back here! So there's that for you all! But i definitely would love to still here from you all! Thank you all for all your support so far in this huge experience of my life! You have helped make it an amazing journey so far! I'm growing and learning so much about this gospel that i love more and more everyday the more i study it. I know it is true. I know if you allow it to it will bless your life like it has mine. I love my God and Savior who both have sacrificed an infinite amount for me. I'm so thankful for this opportunity i have here at the MTC and to be going to tonga. My mission is different than all the other missions in the world. I'm lucky. It's funny to see everyone who goes to tonga has to be laid back. My whole district is. You can tell what kind of people they need there. But I love you all and wish you the best! Til the next email whenever that may be. Ofa Atu.
 
Love,
   Elder Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment